Thursday 18 May 2017

Evelyn's Tale

Wale wanted to know every tiny detail that had to do with me. I didn't know how my mum would feel knowing I had a child out of wedlock so I didn't hesitate at all to take him to my mum since the pregnancy was still young and not really noticeable. Wale introduced me to all his friends, colleagues at work and even some of his extended family members. I was home! We were both in love. Wale didn't hide anything from me, so I presumed. 
One of the days Wale and I weren't together, mum asked to see me.

How long have you known this young man? Mum asked with concern in her eyes.

Six months, I lied.

I had known wale for three months and it felt like five years. 

Marriage isn't something you rush into honey, my mum sighed as she adjusted her spectacles on her slender nose bridge.
I had something special with my husband, your father. We courted for two years and I still didn't know everything about him after five years of marriage.
Trying hard not to look into her eyes, I assured her that Wale and I were the perfect match and I only hoped she believed me.
                            . . .
The wedding date was finally fixed and both of our family members were busy making sure everything was going as planned. We had gotten a venue and both families agreed on Ikeja in Lagos state Nigeria. I wanted something small but Wale's mum wouldn't hear of it. She wanted her first son's wedding to be grand. She wanted it to be on the mouths of Lagos party goers and  if possible all Nigerians. I did not see any reason for the extravagant ceremony but I had no choice than to listen to my future mother-in-law.
A week to the wedding, I barely saw Wale. He was so busy with both work and preparations. Mum also felt I shouldn't see him during that week so that it would be more magical on the wedding day. I didn't really care if it was not magical. Whatever that means,  I only wanted to see my Wale.
So,  three days to our wedding, I decided to pay Wale a surprise visit at his place in Ajah, Lagos state.
It wasn't the first time I had come around without telling him. But this time Wale was furious. Through out the times I knew Wale, he had never raised his voice on me or got that angry.
I apologised without knowing why and asked him if everything was fine. He asked me to wait  outside while he got the keys to his car, so he would drop me off claiming he had an important conference to attend.
I felt disappointed so I kept silent as he drove me back to my place.
That night he called me to apologize for  flaring up and said he had been stressed because of the wedding and work. 

It's okay,  I said in a tiny voice choked up in tears. 

Baby, are you crying? Wale's deep voice echoed through the phone.
I couldn't speak much because a lot of strange thoughts were going through my head.
What if he had someone else? No!! I shook the thought off my head.
What if this was a mistake.. What if I didn't really know him.. What if ...what if... What if... My brain needed a chill. So I managed to tell Wale I was fine and just had a slight headache and needed to go get aspirin from the kitchen.
  He wasn't convinced but he still had to get off the phone.
After I felt relief from the pill I had taken. I knelt down and prayed to God. I hadn't done that in along while. I needed guidance. I knew it was too late to know more about Wale. So I prayed to God to make our relationship in marriage last. ...
To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment